2 feb 2013

1. SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT - PAMPLONA

6:30 in the morning. Today there is no need for the alarm-clock. I haven’t slept a wink. Yesterday, with the pilgrims I met in the hostel, we went for dinner to Chez DeDé. 12,90€ for a Menú del Peregrino. The food was fine but not as good as the one you get in Spain. 

My first stage ahead and the first summit “Alto de Ibañeta” (1200 m.) command me respect and fear. By my reckoning in 4 hours and a half I should be in Roncesvalles. The eagerness to start, the rest I’ve enjoyed the last days and the promise of seeing my family again gives me wings. My average climbing speed is 12 km/h. I can’t believe it! By the way, the weather is glorious! I'm surrounding by snow but the temperature is amazing.

It’s 10:30 and I’m arriving to Roncesvalles. In the hostel where I stopped to stamp my pilgrim passport, I’m told that some journalist from the "Diario de Navarra" were here yesterday interviewing some of the crazy pilgrims who risk their lives walking the Camino in winter time. Three days ago some Korean pilgrims were rescued with hypothermia signs and trapped in the snow at the top of “Alto de Ibañeta”. It was impossible for the fire and rescue service vehicles to get to them and they finally were rescued by a helicopter. 
I din’t think it twice and I called the "Diario de Navarra" and talked to Iván Benítez, the journalist who made the interviews. We agreed to meet at Burguete at 11:30. The interview only lasted a few minutes but enough to get him interested in my story. Such was the interest that my story will hit the news next Sunday...it’s already been in the news three times! Well, and on the TV too...make it four!

This break gave me enough energy to face the last part of the stage. Two more high summits and then a long way down to Pamplona. I wanted to get there on time for having lunch with my family. By 14:00 I was in Pamplona and by 14:30 seating at “La Casona” in Barañain. Asparagus Cojonudos, T-bone steak, cuajada and sorbet of Pacharán. After that, my first G&T as a pilgrim. The 25€ menu that we paid was far more expensive than the average 11€ of a Menú del Peregrino but it was worth it. I highly recommend this place. 

In the evening after a break I went with my family to the “Casco Antiguo” to enjoy a night of pintxos. It was “Ju-pintxo”. Ju from Jueves (Thursday) means that on Thursday night you can get a pintxo and a caña or a wine for only 2€. It was obviously something I couldn’t miss. Estafeta street was so crowded that it remained me of San Fermín. 

There was nothing bad about this stage. On the other hand, the good thing was that I could spend another night with my family halfway through the Camino. 
___________________________________________________________________

6:30 de la mañana.. Hoy no ha hecho falta el despertador. No he dormido en toda la noche. Ayer fuimos a cenar a Chez DeDé. Menu del Peregrino 12.90€. Correcto, pero en España se come mucho mejor. 

Con mucho respeto y mucho miedo me enfrento a la primera rampa del Alto de Ibañeta (1200 m.). De acuerdo con mis cálculos, en cuatro horas y media debería estar en Roncesvalles. La ilusión por empezar, el descanso de los últimos días, y sobre todo las ganas de volver a Pamplona a ver a mi familia me dan alas. Una media de 12 km/h subiendo. Ni yo mismo me lo creo. Por cierto, hace un tiempazo. Aunque estoy rodeado de nieve, la temperatura es estupenda.

Son las 10:30 y llego a Roncesvalles. En el albergue, al que acudo a sellar mi credencial, me confirman que ayer estuvieron los del Diario de Navarra entrevistando a los pocos peregrinos que se juegan la vida haciendo el Camino en invierno. Hace tres días tuvieron que rescatar a unos coreanos en el Alto de Ibañeta con síntomas de hipotermia y rodeados de nieve. De hecho los bomberos no pudieron acceder con sus vehículos y finalmente los peregrinos fueron evacuados en helicóptero. 

Ni corto ni perezoso llamo al Diario de Navarra y hablo con Iván Benítez, el periodista que hizo ayer las entrevistas. Me cita en Burguete a las 11:30. Fueron solo unos minutos, los suficientes para que se interesara por esta historia. Tanto que el próximo domingo saldremos de nuevo en los medios... y ya van tres! También en televisión... serán cuatro. 

Esta parada me da energías para enfrentarme al resto de la etapa. Otros dos puertos importantes y luego un largo descenso a Pamplona. Quería llegar a tiempo para tomarme un menú del peregrino con mi familia. 

A las 14:00 estaba en Pamplona y a las 14:30 comiendo en la sidrería "La Casona" de Barañain. Esparragos cojonudos, chuletón, cuajada y sorbete de pacharán. Para terminar el primer Gin&Tonic peregrino. Podemos decir que el precio se sale un poco de los 11€ de media del menú del peregrino estándar. Fueron 28€ pero merecen la pena. Parada muy recomendable. 

Por la tarde descanso y por la noche de pintxos al casco antiguo de Pamplona. Era Ju-Pintxo: los jueves Pintxo y caña o vino por 2€. 

La calle Estafeta estaba tan llena que parecia San Fermín. 

Lo peor de la etapa, nada. Lo mejor, haber podido pasar otro día con mi familia en mitad del Camino.









T-Bone steak · Chuletón

Cojonudos

Pintxos

Ju-Pintxo

Estafeta Street on a Thursday night · La calle Estafeta el jueves por la noche



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario